Tuesday 4 February 2014

Thats Not Where Eggs Belong...

I hate grocery stores.

And yet. I'm obsessed with them.

As many of you may know... back at home my most hated day of the week was grocery day. The cart. The list. Unpacking when you get home. Nightmare. No thanks. You do it for me Irt.

However... I am secretly obsessed with grocery stores. Perhaps because thats where all the food and snacks live. Perhaps because I worked in a grocery store for 7 years. (I'll probably have to see a therapist regarding this issue)

Since arriving back in Singapore I've become obsessed with their grocery stores, specifically Cold Storage and Fair Price. So obsessed that I go to one of them every day. Not to purchase anything... but simply to 'check it out' (I'm calling a therapist as we speak).

On my 4th or 5th trip to the grocery store... i started noticing that many of my favourite brands DO live here in Singapore. for example...

Fab. I mean ..Tide. This entire branding thing blew my mind. It took Irt at least 15 minutes to explain to me why Tide is called Fab here in Singapore. And quite frankly I'm still not entirely sure I understand. 
But look . Its Fab WITH downy. Downy is still downy here. One point for Singapore. 
That yellow and orange circle label is very comforting to me. I can only handle so much change. 

Continuing on my grocery adventure brought me to the egg aisle. If you know me at all you know how much i love breakfast ..and eggs. But the whole egg experience in Singapore has been very troubling..because.. look.. 
None of the eggs are kept in a cooler!? None. They're all sitting on a shelf with a sign that states..fresh. Pardon me? 
I stared at these eggs for so long... until finally I saw a blonde hair women who i wrongfully assumed was north american ...and I asked her .. "why are the eggs not in a cooler here?" 
and she replied ... "well.. where I'm from they're not in a cooler either". london. shes from london. they don't keep eggs in a cooler in england? she then proceeded to acknowledge the fact that she does put them in the fridge when she gets home. 

right?! because thats where eggs belong. the fridge. 

lesson from today? blonde people don't know what to do with eggs. 
just kidding. 
lesson from today: don't assume blondes are from north america. 
i already knew that. but this egg situation was so troubling my judgment was clouded. 

man i love eggs. 

scuba jess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment