Thursday 27 June 2013

In Love

Today was the day I fell in love with Singapore. It was only a matter of time. The truth is this is one of the first days where I've really ventured out of the hotel room (I have a research paper due on the 1st). So today I ventured out to the metro.  GoTransit...take notes. The transit system here is very similar to TTC and GoTransit...just incredibly more efficient.

And thats not all.

So we get off the train...and lo and behold...we are in a shopping mall!? Apparently all transit stations here have a mall attached to it. When I say mall... I mean...a shopping centre. It had everything from the body shop, to Lacoste, to TopShop?! Unreal.

Irt finally managed to drag me out of the station on to Orchard Road.

Big mistake my friend.

It was probably in his best interest to not allow me to walk down Orchard Road. Our friend Viv had mentioned that Orchard Road had "All the Friends". All the friends...? What does that mean...

Fendi. Prada. Gucci. Burberry. Cartier. Chanel. Louis Vuitton
All. The. Friends.

Now. I'm not typically a sucker for the big name brands. Until...the big name brands are lining the streets! flashing with bright lights! and practically calling my name.

Everyone (especially Irt) will be relieved to know that I just kept walking (Albeit very slowly) and never looked back.

After what felt like an eternity (for Irt) I managed to pull myself away from the window shopping and we sat down for an authentic Singaporean meal at Applebee's

Yes Applebee's. I needed to eat somewhere where my options were more than shrimp fried fish and lobster stuffed crab (none of which are real meals but thats how the menus read in my brain). Dinner was comforting and helped ease me into life here in Singapore.

What seems like an extremely uneventful night of transit travels and American style dinner was actually a great night for me. For the first time since arriving I didn't want to go home (to Milton) at 10pm. In fact I was a little bit sad when I started to feel sick from my "comforting" dinner that resulted in us going back to our hotel. All in all ...I'm in love. Except for Applebees. Screw you Applebee's.

See you soon Prada.
(just kidding babe)

Scuba Jess




No comments:

Post a Comment